In this 98 Seconds of Hope video from 98.5 KTIS, I Am They shares an important message about surrender.
- Do you ever feel overwhelmed by the chaos of life? There are so many things to remember, so many things you have to keep in your mind all at once. Surrender feels like a luxury you can never afford. I Am They band member Matt Hein put it this way, “… sometimes we feel like we’re trying to cling on to everything and hold everything together ourselves.”
- Matt continues, “But we can actually find safety when we just let it go and put it in God’s hands.” Band member Justin Shinn shared that he was freed from “hopelessness” after he stopped “trying to hold on to everything as tightly as [he] could.” Maybe you’re feeling hopeless too, and you want to surrender to God.
- But surrendering doesn’t mean that you stop caring about the important things in your life. It just means that you take some of the pressure off yourself. God tells us that He’s with us, and He helps us with our daily lives. As Jesus says in Matthew 11:28, “‘Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.’” He wants to take our “burdens” from us (Matthew 11:28–30).
- Matt points out another verse that can help us discover what surrender looks like. That verse is Matthew 10:39: “‘Whoever finds their life will lose it, and whoever loses their life for my sake will find it.’”
- I Am They’s song “Scars” also touches on this topic. It speaks of finding that freedom, giving our “burdens” to God. The first verse gives us a taste of that feeling of surrender, “Waking up to a new sunrise, looking back from the other side, I can see now with open eyes.”
- That kind of new beginning might feel intimidating. Surrendering everything to God will ultimately give us relief, but in the moment, we might feel stressed.
- But, as Justin shared, “… just don’t be scared for what God has for you.” We don’t need to worry when we surrender to God. He’s helping us through our struggles for a reason. As band member Brandon Chase says, “… He will in time turn … brokenness and all that stuff into a testimony of His goodness.”
- So how can you surrender to God today? You could practice surrendering one thing to God each day. Pray to Him about something you’re struggling with and begin praying every time that topic comes to mind.
If you’d like others in our community to pray with you, you can post your prayer on PrayerWorks.