John Turnipseed was a self-described ‘monster without a conscience’.
Once a notorious gang leader, he’s now a sought after speaker and director of the Fathering Center at Urban Ventures.
In this interview, John and Connecting Faith’s Neil Stavem discuss John’s experience growing up on welfare, being bullied, feeling out of place in his community, but eventually being saved by Christ. Some of the topics they address:
- How John’s experience with an abusive, alcoholic father affected his life.
- How John filled the loneliness in his life with gang activity.
- What led to his first stint in jail at the age of 18.
- What led to John’s eventual heart change.
- The difficult transition for an inmate leaving the prison life and how the church can minister to them.
- How to break the legacy of violence and imprisonment in a family.
- The importance of the church being involved in ending domestic violence and breaking the cycle of gang activity.
- A new video curriculum from his journey addressing poverty, drugs, violence, and the promise of hope through Christ – no matter what.
- The mission behind Urban Ventures and the Fathering Center.